Making my own home cleaners and various products has given me more peace of mind and also saved me some pennies! The great thing about DIY home products is that they usually use a lot of the same basic ingredients. This powder laundry detergent only requires three ingredients (and you can find them at your local grocery store!).
I’ve shared some other non-toxic and inexpensive home products in the past. Check out this All Purpose Cleaner, Natural Dish Soap, Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner, or my Non-Toxic Dusting Spray. All of those products are so simple to make and keep my home safe from harsh chemicals!
Looking for a powder laundry detergent that is free from harsh chemicals, gentle on sensitive skin, and safe for infants? Would you also like an inexpensive detergent option that isn’t too much trouble to make? This is the product you need! My All Natural Laundry Detergent Powder is made of 3 basic ingredients. Double or triple it to make enough detergent to last months! This product eliminates odors, removes stains, and whitens. This is all I’ve used for many months now and I am very pleased with the results.
Why I Use Natural Cleaners in My Home
- Peace of mind. I want to know exactly what the ingredients are that I use in my home. This cleaner consists of basic items that are safe for every member of the family. Say good-bye to those long lists of ingredients that no one knows how to pronounce (much less know what they are).
- Toxicity. Conventional products contain some extremely harsh chemicals. The kinds that you don’t want your children messing with. If our children shouldn’t touch them…why is it “OK” to spray them all over the surfaces of the home?
- Cost. This cleaner costs so much less to make than purchasing a cleaner from the grocery store.
How to Make Natural Laundry Detergent Powder
What You’ll Need
- 1 bar of Castile soap (or Fels Naptha)
- 2 cups of washing soda
- 2 cups of baking soda
- 30 drops of essential oil(s) (optional)
- Grate up the Castile soap bar into fine pieces.
- Combine the shredded soap bar, washing soda, and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the essential oil(s) of your preference. I prefer lavender.
- Store in an airtight, glass container. I suggest a Mason jar.
How to Use This Laundry Detergent
Add 2 TBS of this detergent to each load of laundry.
I like to store mine in a Mason jar with a TBS inside for measuring.
About the Ingredients
This is a vegetable-based soap typically made from olive oil or coconut oil. It is %100 natural and even has antibacterial properties (those aid in killing infections and germs)! It is nice and gentle, making it perfect for sensitive skin and infants.
I like to use an unscented bar so that I can scent it later with essential oils.
This product is sodium carbonate that dissolves in water during the washing and cleaning process. It works well at getting rid of stains and eliminating odors.
Baking soda provides a natural way to soften, brighten, and whiten clothes.
Essential oils are not necessary for this laundry detergent, but they will aid in making your fabrics smell fresh and clean!
I prefer to add lavender oil to my detergent, but there are other options as well:
- Lemon: uplifting and fresh.
- Orange: clean, invigorating, and fresh.
- Tea tree: a highly antibacterial oil. Great for purifying and cleansing!
- Cedar wood: woodsy, cozy, and fresh. This one always strikes me as more of a masculine scent.
If you make this recipe and love how it turned out, feel free to come back and comment about your experience. I’d love to hear about your experience!
Can I Make a Large Batch for Later?
Yes! I like to double or triple this recipe.
I tried to make my own several years ago and it would leave spots on my clothing where it didn’t dissolve …. Do you ever have problems with that
I’ve used this particular recipe for over 6 months now on every single load of laundry that our family has and I’ve never noticed spots 🙂