We all enjoy fresh smelling room! Febreeze makes it so easy to get a nice scent with very minimal effort. But did you know that many of those air freshening bottles at the grocery store are filled with toxic chemicals that are terrible for breathing in? Unfortunately, it’s true.
So many of the products we use in our homes follow along this same story…toxins, unnatural ingredients, and nasty effects on health. That’s why I’ve created many natural cleaning options such as the following: Laundry Detergent Powder, Dusting Spray, Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner, All Purpose Cleaner, and so much more! Just switching out one of these products would be a great start towards a chemical-free home!
I rid my home of Febreeze over two years ago, but I still longed for an easy spray that would freshen a room quickly. This recipe has worked so well for just that!
Febreeze is not something we want floating in the air of our homes. It’s full of toxins that ultimately wreak havoc on our health. Thankfully, this natural room freshener spray is a fantastic alternative to the chemical ridden fresheners! It is made of basic ingredients that you probably have in the pantry already. Bonus…it’s so much cheaper to make than purchasing fresheners from the grocery store! You’ll find all the information you need for creating this freshening spray just below. A list of possible scent combinations is also included at the end.
Why I Use Natural Cleaners in My Home
- Peace of mind. I want to know exactly what the ingredients are that I use in my home. This room spray consists of basic items that are safe for every member of the family. Say good-bye to those long lists of ingredients that no one knows how to pronounce (much less know what they are).
- Toxicity. Conventional products contain some extremely harsh chemicals. The kinds that you don’t want your children messing with. If our children shouldn’t touch them…why is it “OK” to spray them all over the surfaces of the home?
- Cost. This spray costs so much less to make than purchasing a cleaner from the grocery store.
How to Make DIY Air Freshener
What You’ll Need
- Baking soda
- 15-20 drops of Essential Oil(s)
- Glass bottle
- Mix the essential oil(s) and baking soda together in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture to a glass spray bottle.
- Top the bottle off with water.
- Shake well before each use.
How to Use this Air Freshener
Spray a few spritz into the air, floor, furniture, cars, shoes, or laundry for a fresh scent. This will provide an uplift to any space!
Essential oils provide you with many health benefits. Just spraying them into the air allows you to breathe them in and benefit your mood, mind, and body. The chemical makeups of each essential oil can benefit your body in many fantastic ways!
Certain oils like lavender can even aid in sleep, so spraying a bit on the bed might be a good idea!
Essential Oil Options
- Citrus: Lemon, lime, or orange. Any (or all) of these essential oils will provide an invigorating and uplifting scent to your freshening spray. They are also known for aiding in concentration.
- Floral: Lavender, rose, or geranium. Each of these oils are extremely pleasant to the senses. Lavender especially possesses wonderful calming and soothing effects, making it great to spray on a bed before sleep. Floral essential oils are known for calming the mind and nervous system.
- Peppermint. This oil has an interesting ability to both sooth and energize. Peppermint also aids in concentration.
- Cedarwood and lemon. I absolutely love this scent combo! It is both invigorating and cozy all at the same time. If you’re looking for a fresh and woodsy spray, this is the combination to try!
More DIY Cleaning Products
- Natural Laundry Detergent Powder
- Non-Toxic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- DIY Non-Toxic Dusting Spray
- DIY All Natural Linen Spray
- DIY All Purpose House Cleaner