Christmas has passed once again. I truly hope that you has a wonderful time with friends and family this year! While Christmas hold so many valuable lessons and memories, I also find that in our culture it is so very easy to fall into a few traps within the holiday season: business, discontentment, consumerism, and more.
I believe this it is a good time to look back at what this Christmas season was like for each of us on an individual basis. Was it chaotic? Did we spend more than our means could handle? How content did I really feel with what I have? And so on.
As Charlie Brown famously asks out of desperation…”Isn’t anyone able to tell me what Christmas is all about?” The Bible has a very clear answer to that question. I’ve listed 10 verses that discuss points from the Christmas story as well as good reminders about contentment, joy, and peace. These are only a handful of times Christmas is mentioned in Scripture, so I encourage you to take some time to search His Word for more around this subject. Luke 2 is a fantastic place to read the Christmas story for the first time (or the 1,000th)!
10 Bible Verses for Christmas
1. “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.”Isaiah 9:6-7
3. “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”Matthew 6:19-21
5. “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, lowly and riding on a donkey, a colt, the foal of a donkey.”Zechariah 9:9
6. “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”Phillippians 4:12-13
7. “But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.”
8. “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness.”Psalm 30:11
10. “Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”Luke 2:13-14
Scripture discusses Christmas, contentment, joy, and peace so many more times than I’ve listed here, so I encourage you to read the Bible and find more hope for yourself. Please also read each of these verses in your own Bible so that you may gain context for why they exist and have power in your life. There is power in the Word of God over all things, including this battle for a right heart during the holidays.
Find More Encouragement
- 10 Bible Verses for a Thankful Heart
- The Unrivaled Power of Prayer
- Be in God’s Stride
- Bible Verses for Joylessness
- God’s Silence
- A Prayer for Mothers | Fortitude