Sometimes you just need a little treat to look forward to enjoying at the end of a long day. I know I do! I often mix up a Honey Sweetened Mug Brownie during my sons’ nap or after they’ve gone to sleep for the night. It’s like a reward and unwind for a hard day’s work put in!
While my mug brownie recipe has been on the blog for awhile now, I figured it was time to expand our quick treat options. Enter Blondie in a Mug.
My goal for creating dessert recipes is to find alternatives to refined sugars. I thoroughly enjoy baking with honey or maple syrup the most. Most of my baked goods use either one of these natural sweeteners: Honey-Sweetened Sourdough Chocolate Chip Muffins, Sourdough Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies, Sourdough Pie Crust, Sourdough Banana Bread, and much more!
Continue reading for a delicious and simple Blondie in a Mug recipe. You’ll find everything you need: instructions, ingredients, and topping ideas. This blondie can be sweetened with honey or maple syrup…no refined sugars here! Get ready for a cozy evening by mixing up this quick dessert. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need
- Coffee mug or small bowl
- Fork or spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 3 TBS of honey or maple syrup
- 2 TBS of butter
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp. of vanilla
- Additional toppings (optional): chocolate syrup, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream, strawberries, caramel, etc.
- Add the honey and butter into a medium size coffee mug.
- Heat the honey and butter in the microwave until melted. Stir to combine.
- Combine the water, vanilla, and salt with the honey and butter mixture. Stir well.
- Mix the flour in with the wet ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. The time depends on how fudgy you’d like the brownie to be. I find that 1 minute and 30 seconds leaves the outside baked and soft and the inside gooey (just as I like it!).
- Serve with the toppings of your choice or alongside of a cold glass of milk.
Keep in Mind:
- Making more than one mug blondie at a time? I suggest mixing all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then pouring the batter into separate mugs. Just remember to adjust the ingredient amounts based on serving size (this recipe is one serving).
If you make this recipe and love how it turned out, feel free to come back and comment about your experience. I’d love to see your creation and how you served it!
Can I Use Regular Sugar Instead of Honey?
Yes, you can. I do suggest natural sweeteners like honey over processed sugars, but it can also be used in this recipe! Just use 4 TBS of white sugar instead of honey.
More From Scratch Desserts
- Sourdough Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Honey-Sweetened Sourdough Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Honey Sweetened Mug Brownie
- Naturally Sweetened Sourdough Waffles
- Naturally Sweetened Monster Cookies