This Simple Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is packed with vegetables, nutrient-dense broth, and flavorful herbs. It’s the perfect soup for simmering on these chilly evenings.
There’s so much flavor packed into this rich, healthy chicken soup. It is so filling, but I highly recommend serving it with a side of fluffy biscuits. Theres nothing quite like dipping a warm sourdough biscuit, smothered with butter, into your hot soup.
How to Make Simple Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- The noodles will soak in the broth after sitting for awhile. This usually leaves very little or no broth at all. When this happens, I simply add a few cups of water to the noodles and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Large stock pot and lid
- Medium sized cast iron skillet
- Wooden spoon
- 1 TBS of olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion
- 4 large carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 4 cups of bone broth (or chicken broth)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 pound of cooked chicken breast
- 6 oz. of egg noodles
- Additional salt and pepper (if desired)
- Begin by heating a cast iron skillet on high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add 1 TBS of olive oil to the hot skillet.
- Sauté the chopped onion, carrot, and garlic in the skillet for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Dice the cooked chicken breast into small pieces.
- In a medium sized stock pot, combine salt, pepper, oregano, broth, water, and pieces of chicken. Stir well.
- Cover the pot with a lid and allow the soup to simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat source and add in the noodles. Stir well.
- Allow the soup to stand (covered) for about 20 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Discard bay leaves, taste test, and, if desired, add any additional seasonings.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you make this recipe and love how it turned out, feel free to come back and comment about your experience. I’d love to see your creation and how you served it!
More From Scratch Recipes
- Homemade Fermented Pickle Recipe
- Oven-Baked Chicken Tenders
- Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate
- A Delicious Chili Soup Recipe